Thursday 18 February 2016

Melizioso© dinner



Delicious food is my passion so I felt privileged this evening to be invited to partake of a Melizioso© dinner. The menu; coq au vin, sautéed mushrooms and pan fried crispy creamy polenta.

The coq au vin was truly amazing, multi layered flavours of an authentic chicken braised in wine sauce with veg. The texture of the slow cooked chicken thigh, flavoured and softened to fall off the bone was perfection. 
 
Many would of course not eat it but for the lovers of rich food... (if fat makes you squeamish skip the this line!) The beautifully browned and deliciously (never thought I would say that) soft skin was the perfect accompaniment to the meat. The divinely intricate flavouring of the sauce was rich, thick, with caramelised onion, slightly sweet omami, herby and permeated with a berry twanged wine. The rich brown colours of the sauce and onions were lifted by julienne carrots. Sauteed button mushrooms were cooked and served separately.

At some point in the past I decided that I like to separate starch and protein as a preference rather than a rule. As such I will in a meal with both, eat the protein first and find that an ideal second choice for after dinner digestion. I have also learnt that having seconds (of protein) trashes the work before. When offered seconds tonight I was amazed to find myself choosing to avoid risking a bloat so I could continue to enjoy the lingering play of the after flavours around my taste buds. Which is a prelude to describing the star of the evening.....

When I arrived for dinner Melissa apologised for the polenta, which she was frying as I entered. She had a vision in her mind of the polenta being much firmer but would have needed more hours in the day to have had the time to pre cook it earlier as needed. The fact that it had been very recently cooked gave the polenta the most amazing contrast between the crispy, cheesy pan fried exterior and the tasty, creamy interior. With the sauce and mushrooms it was the perfect foil and utterly delicious on it's own.

Melivision© provides artistic services; interior design, art and daughter company Melizioso© luckily for me, do food. An intimate dinner for two or not intimate with eight, a banquet, a (wedding) party, conference? Whatever the occasion, if you can't or don't want to make it your self you can get delicious, well made, healthy food with options for a huge range of diets. Coeliac, vegan, pescatarian? No problem! Carb free, gluten free, sugar free. No problem! 
 
Not being much into desserts and having foresworn chocolate you'd need to look elsewhere to find out about the apple and other fruit pies, brownies etc. but I will mention the pizza (she now also does a carb free verion!), the foccacia and the risotto.

However it's such a long time since I tasted her pasta I can't remember any more – hint, hint!





3 comments: