Friday 26 February 2016

Exhibition 'DRAWING WORK' @ CBK Amsterdam Zuid Oost, Anton de Komplein 120, 1102 DR


Thursday 25th February until 26th March Donderdag 25 februari te zien t/m 26 maart

An exhibition with the work of 17 international artists about work and work experiences Een tentoonstelling met tekeningen van 17 internationale kunstenaars over werk-en arbeidservaring

Lezing: do 3 maart 17:30 tot 18:30 uur Tekenworkshop: zat 5 maart 14 tot 17 uur

Last night I went to the opening of the above – I had to go. I was commissioned by the curator and one of the contributing artists Siobhan Wall to write a couple of pieces about 'Work'. I did a text performance and the pieces are to be included in the exhibition.

I am writing a review, not because I was in it or because you can see some of my writing but because although, I spent a large part of the evening doing my best to drink as much red wine as possible, it was a super experience because the selections of work were brilliant, sometimes challenging, funny, inspiring and very thought provoking.

My absolute all time favourite(s) were the 3d cut outs by Marleen Kappe. These looked almost impossible to photograph (so I was like, if I can't take photos of this one/these why take any!). They showed industrial and possibly film or theatre work situations. They are so difficult to describe I'm not even going to bother saying any more than that. The link to her website will give you an idea but they honestly do need to be seen 'live' to really 'get them'. http://www.marleenkappe.nl/


I can't think of anyone other than Siobhan who would have included portraits of homeless refugees. No longer in danger of being sent back but denied the opportunity of working and contributing to the society to which they have been forced to flee. Not being able (allowed) to work is also relevant to exploring work.

There were a few of the works that really stood out for me. They made me spend the latter part of the evening travelling to and at the Bimhuis trying to convince everyone I spoke to to go and see.
I had struggled the whole evening between making photos and not doing so. There were a number of professional photographers, including Siobhan and I thought it was much better to try and get some of those to put with this review than twitting about with my mobile and doing everyone an injustice.

I like seeing art. I don't make enough time to do it. One of the reasons is I know so clearly what I like and why. I rarely see stuff that I like, so all most people (especially my partner) ever hear is me ripping someone or others work that I don't like to pieces. Last night was a welcome relief. I was 'mwah' about a fair amount, but the joy of finding so many exhibits that made me feel enthusiastic was wonderful.

One was a collection of doodles – they reminded me of stuff that I, my sister and partner do! Is there a basic doodling universal style? Loved that they were on post it notes and office paper. Some were free hand geometric later reproduced with compass and rulers. Most were pencil or pen and a small group were coloured in.

The cartoons exploring women, career, and parenting were really well drawn, spot on commentaries and hilarious.

A wall of images of black men was poignant, the text; words to the effect that they didn't want their photos taken so their mothers wouldn't know they were homeless but a drawing or painting was OK. Their inclusion was a super subtle, damning of our world.

Some of the art was from photographs – not really keen on that. I'm like, why bother? For a portrait OK but to present a a painting or drawing when it's always soooo obvious you're just reproducing a photo – I don't get it. You may call me a peasant.

Due to the amount of drinking, a lack of pen and paper and my reluctance to take photos with my phone. I didn't get (remember) the names of the other artists whose work I really liked.




Marleen Kappe has the opening Drie Tekeningen exposities the small format section 5th March at Witteveen Visual art Centre 17.00



 and here's me reading with the photos of the processed asylum seekers as background


photos: Marleen Kappe and Siobhan Wall

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review, Lennie! I am glad you liked the work by Marleen Kappe. I agree - her work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete