Sunday 13 March 2016

De Betere Tijden, Gelkingestraat 21, 9711 NA Groningen, Netherlands

Nice, friendly, good service.
Food is OK, not special but, a very reasonable price most around 10 euros. In comparison I thought the Chef's special at 12.50 was over priced (absolutely not complaining!) Not generous portions definitely adequate.
I asked about the changing stuffing on the mushroom and was told red peppers (paprika) and pesto - I checked if it was basil pesto (yes) which struck me as not something I was even willing to try!
I really don't understand burgers with no flavouring but that is apparently how people make them here. A slab of lightly cooked mince with not even salt and pepper doesn't do it for me
We had 6 burgers, with (bad, cheap) cheddar and roseval potatoes which were cooked but still pale. I don't do bread, without the generous crusty bap, the patty looked quite sad. There was no lettuce or tomato, gherkin, ketchup, or mayo with the burger, a goodly side garnish kinda made up for it.
There was supposed to be some kind of beet salad but it wasn't on the plate!
One of us had the Hungarian sauerkraut, it came with a gehakt ball that was more than 40% breadcrumbs, the flavour of the saurkraut was good but it was a small portion.
The cheese plate was laughable! Tiny little squares of pecorino and belgen, some small sliced of too cold, too young brie (no flavour) and more garnish and fruit than cheese - but it was only 5 euros, I would rather pay a bit more and get a bit better
The wine was fabulous - we had the most expensive which at 21 a bottle did not break the bank. it was a lovely Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon
Shame all the tap beers were so strong.
I don't think I'd go again.
They were really cool about us making a fair amount of noise while we played dice.
I recommend it for anyone with a low budget or if you've had some horrid experiences with people being rude or unfriendly but, if money isn't an issue , and you don't need a safe haven and would like some great nosh - try somewhere else

No comments:

Post a Comment